We are opening up art in UK public collections for enjoyment, learning and research.
We believe that the public should be able to access and enjoy the art it owns. Our priorities lie in encouraging public engagement and enhancing our knowledge about the art we all own.
We do this by:
- Digitising art collections
- Inspiring discovery and learning through stimulating content
- Creating opportunities for public participation both online and offline
- Pooling the benefits of scale and technology for all public collections
- Enriching artwork records through crowd sourcing expertise
- Building adventurous partnerships
There are already over 200,000 artworks on Art UK and the number’s growing.
The art is from museums, universities, town halls, hospitals and even a lighthouse. Much of it isn’t usually on display. The art is from over 3,250 venues across the UK.
At the moment it’s mainly oil paintings but we’re adding watercolours and works on paper, with the nation’s sculpture planned to join soon.
Art UK is the operating name for the charity the Public Catalogue Foundation.