Continental European after 1800 15 Could this be by Johannes Bartholomeus Duntze (1823–1895) or another Düsseldorf trained artist?

Mountain Landscape I
Topic: Artist

Compare with the painting in the Walker Art Gallery of a Norwegian fjord, which is almost certainly by Duntze. https://bit.ly/3Ltbzuu [Art UK: the collection has been approached again about the possibility of updating this record]

Wikipedia: Düsseldorf school of painting
https://bit.ly/3wFRQlB

What European country is represented?

Martin Hopkinson, Entry reviewed by Art UK

15 comments

The collection record gives the title in square brackets, which usually means that there was no information included about a title at the time of its acquisition. There is no information on the back of the picture, and it is thought that ‘Mountain landscape’ and ‘British School’ were applied so that it could be catalogued.

Jacinto Regalado,

This is taken fro a biography of Duntze at the askART site:

The landscape painter John Bartholomew Duntze studied from 1838 at the Munich Academy; then in Berlin and Antwerp from 1851 to 1855; and in Geneva at Alexandre Calame.

In 1856 he settled in Dusseldorf and from there participated in numerous German and foreign exhibitions. By preference he painted motifs from Holland and Norway, from the Tyrol and Switzerland, but also from the Rhine and Mosel. Duntze specialized in mountain subjects from Norway, Switzerland and Tyrolia on the one hand, on winter landscapes with frozen lakes and rivers in the manner of the Dutch contemporary painters on the other hand.

Jacinto Regalado,

Assuming this is by Duntze, I now favor this being a Norwegian scene.

Jacinto Regalado,

The one work currently listed under Duntze on Art UK gives his middle name as Bertholomus, which is incorrect and should be changed.

Thanks again to Marcie for the image of Duntze's view beside our picture. As far as the title goes, it is fairly certain that this is a view of the Uri Rotstock, possibly from across the narrow, fjord-like branch of Lake Lucerne called the Urnersee.

Jacinto Regalado,

Marion, the correction of Duntze's middle name on Art UK has not gone live. Must be some button or other that needs pushing.

Jacinto, thanks for pointing this out. It's just a long lag on Art UK, I'm afraid. It was corrected in the database on 23rd May. I'll let Terry Gould know.

Please support your comments with evidence or arguments.

jpg, png, pdf, doc, xls (max 6MB)
Drop your files here
Attach a file Start uploading

Sign in

By signing in you agree to the Terms & Conditions, which includes our use of cookies.