British 19th C, except portraits, British 20th C, except portraits 25 Did Edwin Steele (1861–1933) paint this still life of flowers and fruit?

STF_STKMG_1962_FA_34
Topic: Artist

The artist's death date is 1898, however this painting is clearly signed 1899. The signature appears to match other works by E. Steele including this one signed and dated 1901: https://bit.ly/3iisx0A

Julia DeFabo, Art UK Social Media Manager, Entry reviewed by Art UK

25 comments

Mark Wilson 01,

This does seem to be a well-known problem in the antiques trade. There actually appear to be three of them:

"There were several Edwin Steeles painting in the 19th century. One whose dates were 1803-1871 would appear to have been primarily a landscape artist. Another whose dates are listed as 1837-1898 seems to be confused with and often listed as this artist since examples of his work are obviously from the same hand with the same signature “E. Steele”. Unfortunately there seems to be no biographical information available although he was a prolific and competent artist. His works are still lifes of flowers or fruit often incorporating pineapples, grapes and apples."

(https://www.studioantiques.net/items/1246455/Edwin-Steele-British-1850-after-1912)

So we may well have ES1 (1803-1871); ES2 (1837-1898) and ES3 (1861-1933). From the dates they could easily be three generations of the same family.

Another site selling a pair of pictures notes:

"A fine pair of oils on canvas depicting fruit against a mossy, ferny bank typical of the still life painter of the Victorian period. The paintings are by Edwin Steele who as well as a prolific oil painter was a porcelain painter in the nineteenth century, he seems to have worked for Rockingham but there may well have been several of the family with the same name working"

(https://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/435960/pair-of-victorian-still-life-oil-paintings-by-edwin-steele/)

Though the Rockingham connection may also include ES1 as the V&A has a vase from c 1825 of his (http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O332573/vase-steele-edwin/).

There are nine works ascribes to ES2 on ArtUK and four to ES1 (all in collections in the Midlands). At first glance, both sets may contain works from all three Edwins and several under ES2 are dated after his death.

Heather Phillips,

We are offering for sale this quite large still life oil on canvas by the artist E. Steele, who has signed the painting in the lower right hand corner and dated it 1900. The painting depicts two bunches of white grapes, one bunch of purple grapes, a melon, three apples and a cut lemon, framed by some vine leaves.

This artist is the same person referred to as Edwin Steele on the auction sites, but with incorrect dates of either 1803-1871, or 1837-1898. As there are quite a few paintings shown on these sites with dates post 1900, the most recent being 1918, and obviously the work of the same artist, it is quite clear that these dates are wrong. Having done some research online and found the Rockingham china and porcelain patter book, we have found that Edwin Steele was a painter and enamaller at this factory, but his dates are 1805-1871 and he was the son of Thomas Steel who was also an artist at the factory before his son. Thomas Steel moved back to Staffordshire to work at the Minton factory, taking his son with him and they lived in Stoke on Trent. As there is an Edwin J. Steele who was born in 1861 in Stoke on Trent and who died in 1933 in Birmingham, which fits with the dates on the paintings, we believe that it is this Edwin who painted this painting and he was Edwin's son. There is one painting listed on artprice with a date of 1849, but this is in an earlier style and is probably the work of the earlier Edwin.

He is know as a painter of fruit and flowers, although there are some landscapes listed. He was quite a prolific painter, although he did not appear to exhibit, as there are no biographical details listed in our reference books, which are drawn from exhibition records.

This is a segment from the biography I formed for this artist after doing research on findmypast etc.

Heather, thank you for sharing your research on the Steele (Steel?) family, indicating three generations: a grandfather, Thomas Steel [sic?] (no dates); father Edwin Steele (1805–1871); son Edwin J. Steele (1861–1933).

Jacinto Regalado,

So do the dates 1837-1898 belong to yet another Steele?

The source is Ancestry, for those who can access it.

Edwin H. Steele (links to many source records): https://bit.ly/364d0hX
BIRTH JUL 1839 • Hanley, Staffordshire, England
DEATH DEC 1919 • Birmingham, Warwickshire, England

His son was Edwin James Steele (who was married in 1883, see attachment): https://bit.ly/3ctQcJC
BIRTH ABT 1861 • Hanley, Staffordshire, England
DEATH JUN 1933 • Birmingham, Warwickshire, England

But Edwin H. Steele's father was also called Edwin Steele: https://bit.ly/3kFzSrX
BIRTH ABT 1807 • Burslem, Staffordshire, England
DEATH JUL 1871 • Staffordshire, United Kingdom

And in turn, his father was Thomas Steele (spelling varies at this time in records): https://bit.ly/3kHzEAq
There are no dates for him on these records – his name is recorded as the father on Edwin (b.1807)'s baptism.

The three Edwins are all recorded as painters or artists in various censuses and marriage records. But hopefully that's clearer on the dates (and useful to name them with no middle initial, middle initial H and middle name James, to distinguish them).

1 attachment
Jacinto Regalado,

That means that the dated Steele pictures on Art UK could have been done by either Edwin H. or his son Edwin James, based on date alone, though they are currently listed under Edwin Steele (1837-1898), who may or may not really be Edwin H. Steele (1838-1919).

I suppose we need to see or at least know the exact signatures and dates (if present) for all Steele still lifes on Art UK, and go from there.

Jacinto Regalado,

All Steele still lifes on Art UK appear to be signed E. Steele. The two Wolverhampton pictures are dated (which does not appear in their Art UK entries), and it seems the dates both begin with 19 (higher res images would help).

Jacinto Regalado,

For what it's worth, Artnet lists 100 pictures under "Edwin Steele" with vital dates of 1850-after 1912. The listings with images are almost all still lifes, with two dog pictures, a landscape and a seascape.

There is clearly general confusion as to which Steele and which dates.

Jacinto Regalado,

I expect that sorting this out is going to require genealogical and census data, which is not my forte, but there are others here who are much better at that kind of work.

Jacinto Regalado,

The V&A has nine Rockingham ceramic pieces dated between 1825 and 1830 which were painted by Edwin Steele, whose dates are given as 1803-1871. They are all painted with flowers only, no fruits:

https://bit.ly/2FK0b1x

Jacinto Regalado,

There are a total of 15 Steele still lifes on Art UK. Nine are in vertical format and 6 in horizontal format. This one and four other very similar pictures involving a flower vase and fruits on a marble tabletop certainly seem to be by the same hand, as does one with a fruit vase and loose flowers on a marble top in the same style. Two (paired?) pictures depict only clusters of grapes still on the vine. Two are still lifes (one floral, one fruits) in an outdoor setting. The remaining 5 are 2 floral, 1 fruit and 2 mixed still lifes, and two of these (below) seem somewhat more crudely or primitively painted than all the rest, so they could be by a different hand:

https://bit.ly/301JKo8

https://bit.ly/3csQVuC

Mark Wilson 01,

Heather's latest work on the family tree reinstates the idea of three generations of Edwins, which I think is more plausible, giving us four generations:

Thomas Steel(e) (nd)
Edwin Steele (?1807-1871)
Edwin H Steele (1839-1919)
Edwin J Steele (1861-1933)

As it happens it turns out that a lot more work on this family has been done already this year by Teresa Coutinho posting on another discussion board, most recently:

https://ask.bidtoart.com/question/e-steele-water-colour-and-gouache-painting-is-this-painting-authentic-or-a-copy/#comment-236

though many of her comments on that thread are relevant. The revised lineage appears to be

Thomas Steel (1771-1850)
Edwin Steele (1803/05-1871)
Edwin H Steele (1839-2 Dec 1919)
Edward James Steele (1861-1933)

The latter was actually named as above, but may possibly have been known as Edwin (I've known this happen with family names). In addition Thomas had another son Horatio (1806-1874) who like his father only appears to have worked on ceramics (the V&A again has examples).

Teresa Coutinho was also in touch with Minton, for whom various members of the family worked, and they sent her copies of the pages of a book giving details of the lives of the first three plus Horatio (linked in Google Docs in comment above). The uncertainty over Edwin's birth date is explained by his not being baptised, along with another brother, and later in the same year Horatio, until 1807. The book also gives examples of Edwin's and Edwin H's (who are referred to as 'senior' and 'junior') signatures.

The book is obviously biased towards ceramic work, but it notes that by 1901 Edwin H is describing himself as an 'Artist in Oils' (in the previous census he was a 'Flower and Fruit Pottery Painter') so it looks as if the balance of his production changed in the 1890s.

Jacinto Regalado,

Coutinho more or less says that the still life painter was Edwin H Steele. We know his father was a porcelain painter, though he may have been more than that. But what about Edward J Steele? What was his profession?

Osmund Bullock,

Unfortunately Teresa Coutinho's research conclusions are not wholly reliable. As well as being clearly wrong about her watercolour being C19th, she is also wrong about Edwin/Edward James Steele, though that's more understandable. Spending £11 on a birth certificate doesn't, alas, tell you what you learn from 40 years of doing genealogy: GRO certificates of BM&D can sometimes be wrong, and censuses & other sources right!

In this case Edwin James was either registered wrongly as "Edward" - perhaps misheard - or the detail was misread when the info was sent from the local register office up to the GRO in London. The evidence is conclusive: he was born on 13th March 1861, and in the Census taken three weeks later (7th April) his name is recorded as Edwin (see attached), i.e. five days *before* the birth was registered on the 12th. On 3rd August 1862 the boy was christened at Holy Trinity Northwood (Stoke-on-Trent) as Edwin James (also attached). In subsequent Censuses of 1871, 1881, 1901 and 1911, at his marriage to Emily Cambridge at Birmingham in 1883, in electoral rolls for Ladywood, B'ham 1921-31 and in his death & burial records at B'ham in 1933, he is always Edwin James or Edwin J, once just Edwin, but never "Edward". The only exception is the 1901 Census where he is just "James", which suggest he may indeed have had a family name (to distinguish him from his father?) ...but Edward it was not.

Osmund Bullock,

However the book extracts shown by Ms Coutinho are very interesting, though the third one is far more accurate than the second (which should be largely ignored). There's more to write about them, with some further details and corrections, along with observations from myriad census and baptism records, etc, which inform and clarify matters considerably. I hope I'll get to posting more of that later. But it is looking increasingly likely that our artist is indeed Edwin Steele II (1839-1919), father of Edwin James - unless I am going mad, though, I can find no record that he ever had any middle name or intitial (H or otherwise). I wonder where the Ancestry profiler (who is accurate about most things) got that from? Oh, hang on...I bet it's the stupid modern habit of putting the I / II / III to differentiate generations *between* the first and last names - it often causes confusion, especially with a single 'I'. The tree compiler has somewhere read Edwin II Steele, and read it as "Edwin H Steele".

Jacinto Regalado,

Osmund, what book extracts are you referring to, or rather, where are they? No doubt I've overlooked something, so please clarify.

Osmund Bullock,

If you follow Mark's link (https://bit.ly/3i43EoK) to the discussion forum where Teresa Coutinho has been posting, and scroll down to the bottom, you'll find three different links to Google Drive files that show pages from three different books that mention the Steel(e) family. I found the way they were arranged on the PDFs a bit tricky, so I've turned them into four simple JPGs which I attach. I've deduced the titles of the first two books, but the third (which has the fullest and most accurate info) remains unknown.

Though it's not very relevant to our research, I can confirm from census and baptism / marriage / burial records that all the movements to and from different factories given in the third book are correct. What is very relevant are the images shown of the signatures of both Edwin I (bap 1807 d.1871) & his son Edwin II (1839-1919) - both of them use the cursive capital 'E' seen in our painting. However, I have found examples of the signature of Edwin James (1861-1933) in documents that show he did too. And to complicate things still further, Edwin James had a younger brother Ernest Augustus (1868-1937), who like his brother, father and grandfather was also an 'enamel painter', and who *also* signed with the cursive 'E'!

Jacinto Regalado,

Besides Edwin II, were any of the others more than painters for ceramic ware? Some "E. Steele" pictures look clearly less accomplished than ours, and I suspect were not by Edwin II.

Christine Lawton,

We have an oil painting signed Edwin Steele. It was hanging in our house many decades ago, when my great uncle and aunt paid their only visit to London from the Potteries. My great uncle, who was not my blood relation, looked at the painting and immediately told us who it was by: his great uncle, Edwin Steele, who exhibited at the Liverpool Royal Academy. It is quite a large picture of fruit and flowers on a stone slab and some of the fruit is cascading down from a carved stone urn type vase. It is extremely accomplished. I believe also that Edwin Steele used to paint on pottery and I read somewhere that he used to paint at Crown Derby but I'm not sure whether that is correct. The style of his paintings would certainly fit in with hand painted pottery.

Jacinto Regalado,

Steele transferred his work as a ceramics painter to canvas, but the style and feel remain the same. There is nothing painterly about it, though it precise and crisp, but essentially decorative illustration

Please support your comments with evidence or arguments.

jpg, png, pdf, doc, xls (max 6MB)
Drop your files here
Attach a file Start uploading

Sign in

By signing in you agree to the Terms & Conditions, which includes our use of cookies.