ESX_ECCC_ECRO_12
Topic: Artist

I am writing the biography of architect Henry Flitcroft who designed Bower House in 1729 for John Baynes. The portrait hung there within a Flitcroft overmantel frame. Sir James Thornhill (whose daughter married Hogarth that year) also worked at the house. Lucy was born in about 1710 and only married in 1743 after her father’s death. If 1729 is the date, which seems likely, it is not possible to attribute it to school of William Hogarth … any thoughts? Could it be an early Hogarth, the same year as The Sleeping Congregation? Flitcroft was known as a Burlington disciple while Hogarth was very anti the Architect Earl. They were exact contemporaries. [Group leader: Bendor Grosvenor]

Gill Hedley, Entry reviewed by Art UK

7 comments

The Collection have commented: ‘The sequence of portraits of the Baynes family of Bower House formed part of the county art collection from County Hall, which the Record Office had passed to it with virtually no information regarding the origins. The only note we can find derives from some photographs of the paintings taken in 1967, which suggests that the subject and possible ascription to Hogarth are down to Christopher Hussey in a wartime article for Country Life. I have attached a scan of this sheet (ERO reference I/Pb 2/10). I have also looked at a photocopy of the original article from 24th March 1944 which states “the saloon chimneypiece… with the charming portrait in it of Lucy Baynes (surely an unattributed Hogarth)”.

The Baynes portraits remain in their disframed condition and there is no writing or ascription on this portrait. The date given in the catalogue is ‘circa 1740’, although there is no particular reason given for this. I suspect it may be biographical based on the possible age of Lucy at the time, although I have not been able to track down a family tree in our collections. Lucy married Francis Lee or Leigh on 5th May 1743 but no age is given in the relevant register of St George’s, Bloomsbury.'

1 attachment

The contributor added: ‘I am attaching a document. I am sure that Martin Hopkinson is right (as he usually is) that Inventory (1737) of the goods of Mr Serjeant Baynes decd at Havering, Essex, made by John Padmore and John Antonie | The National Archives may hold the key to some attributions. https://bit.ly/3L5mjjA I have found a researcher who wishes to do some work on Bower House records and hope I can persuade her to look at the MS as she is based in Bucks. My only interest is in Flitcroft and the other people involved in the commission for Bower House which I hope included Hogarth.’

The Collection commented: ‘That is most useful for us here at Essex Record Office, particularly to have a clear date of Lucy Baynes’s birth and to see the relations between the Lee, Baynes and Sandys families. We hope your researcher finds the item at Aylesbury useful and we would be delighted to know the outcome of that visit regarding a potentially more accurate dating.'

[Then, at a later date, the contributor added:] ‘Baynes' 1737 inventory in Aylesbury (now examined by a researcher) provides no clues as to the artist but simply confirms that the painting was built into the original plasterwork (which was clear from early photos) 'all fixt on the wainscott'. At least the date of the inventory confirms that the painting is before 1740! I am confident of my date attribution of 1729 for this painting due to Lucy's age and the building of Bower House. '

1 attachment
Peter Nahum,

Dear Jill,

We live in 5 Bloomsbury Square, the other 1/2 of Pushin House, which Flitcroft "improved" in 1744 for the Bedfords. If you would like to visit, email us, Peter & Renate Nahum, at: peternahum@leicestergalleries.com

Peter

Jacob Simon,

I'd suggest that this portrtait is the work of Enoch Seeman the younger c.1694–1745 from the pinpoint eyes and the flabby handling of the face.

Whaley Turco,

https://www.artic.edu/artworks/108984/the-sleeping-congregation
I have to say No, it's not a Hogarth, If you study The Sleeping Congregation you will see that the sophisticated level of composition, drafting, drawing and animation is Masterpiece quality. Could it be a student or follower or admirer of his> YES. One can see where they are trying to compare the young lady to ripe fruit. But that's as far as they got.

Gill Hedley,

I should add that Mary Baynes, wife to John Baynes who commissioned the house and presumably their own and his daughter's portraits, was nee Beke and sister in law to Duke of Montagu's steward Marc Antonie. Baynes himself was the duke's man of law.

Gill Hedley,

Likely that orange is simply an elegant ref to the address of the house on what was Orange Tree Hill, but possibly an allusion to father's wealth and her heirship.

Please support your comments with evidence or arguments.

jpg, png, pdf, doc, xls (max 6MB)
Drop your files here
Attach a file Start uploading

Sign in

By signing in you agree to the Terms & Conditions, which includes our use of cookies.