Completed British 20th C, except portraits, Military History, South East England: Artists and Subjects 7 Further information sought on the artist Edgar Downs (1876–1963)

HMP_FOTC_2
Topic: Artist

I am trying to find information about Edgar Downs (1876–1963) who was a Member of the ROI and exhibited at the Academy. His subjects were mainly rural involving particularly sturdy horses.

I am particularly interested in his work during WW1 when I suspect he may have been engaged as a war artist.

Andrew Collins, Entry reviewed by Art UK

Completed, Outcome

Alice Read,

This discussion has now been closed. A Wikipedia article was created about the artist: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Downs

Thank you to all for participating in this discussion. To those viewing this discussion for the first time, please see below for all comments that led to the creation of this article.

6 comments

Tim Williams,

Animal painter in oil; born 12th October 1876 at Claughton, Birkenhead. Son of William Downs who married the widow of H.L. Geoghegan, M.D., R.N. (fleet surgeon). Educated at Birkenhead School and Munich Academy of Arts where he was awarded a silver medal and diploma. Recreations: motor boating, swimming and reading.

Address: Arun Ho., Climping, nr. Littlehampton. Later he lived in Mudeford, Hampshire.

Member of Chelsea Arts Club & London Sketch club.

Paul Kettlewell,

Attached are a couple of pages from his war records, showing that he was an artist - he appears to have spent the war in Egypt.

2 attachments
Tim Williams,

Dolman, Bernard. Who's Who in Art (Art Trade Press, 1934) p.123

Andrew Collins,

Thank you all so much for your contributions giving me much new information and I will be able, during the next week to add to the Wikipedia article.