CHE_WAGA_RD_2483
Topic: Artist

Does anyone know which 'Becker' painted this picture?

We know very little about this painting in our collection other than the fact it is signed 'Becker'. Even the title is inferred.

The painting has been variously attributed to Ferdinand Becker (fl. 1770s–1825), who is sometimes known as Edmund Becker, or to August Becker (1821–1887).

Can anyone help clear this up?

Warrington Museum & Art Gallery, Entry reviewed by Art UK

Completed, Outcome

Jade Audrey King,

This work now has an updated description:

'Signed 'Becker', and previously attributed to Ferdinand Becker (active 1770s–1825) or to August Becker (1821–1887), it now seems likely that this artwork is, in fact, a commercial decorative painting imitating the style of one of the Pether family with what is possibly an invented name as a signature. This style of scene and painting technique also appears in paintings on the backs of glass, on clock faces, and similar types of popular art.'

This amend will appear on the Art UK website in due course. Thank you to all for participating in this discussion. To those viewing this discussion for the first time, please see below for all comments that led to this conclusion.

7 comments

I am afraid this looks to me like a very commercial piece from a production line artist turning out cheap, standardised picturesque images. I think it unlikely that the signature, even if correctly read, would correspond to that of a trained artist.

Betty Elzea,

Just what I would say, too! This style of scene and painting technique also appears in paintings on the backs of glass, clock faces, and such-like types of popular art. They even creep on to 'bargee' art. Could this product perhaps have originated in Germany?

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your comments which we have added to our catalogue record. Interestingly despite it's commercial nature it is one of our most enquired-about paintings so it would be nice if we were able to find out more about the artist.

Dear Betty,

Thank you for your comments which we have added to our catalogue record. The German connection is one that has been suggested by previous enquirers. The suggestion has also been made that it depicts Derwentwater and Lord's Island with Lord Derwentwater's fortified manor house.

Tim Williams,

Essentially it's a pastiche of one of the Pether family - the signatures on these furnishing pictures are often invented.

Dear Tim Williams,

Thank you for your comments which we have added to our catalogue. Having taken a look at some paintings by the Pether family we can see the resemblance.

This painting does not approach the quality of either Ferdinand/Edmund Becker or August Becker. As the contributors above agree, it is a commercial decorative painting with possibly an invented name as a signature.