The Herrick family had the present Beaumanor Hall built in the 1840s, in an Elizabethan style, by the architect William Railton. During the Second World War the War Office requisitioned the Beaumanor Estate for war work and it became a strategic intercept station, known as a 'Y station'. Enemy radio transmissions were intercepted and the information was sent everyday by motorbike to Bletchley Park, 'Station X', for decryption and analysis. When the estate was sold in 1946 the War Office bought the hall and some of the land. Beaumanor Hall is now owned by Leicestershire County Council and is a venue for conferences, weddings and social events. The site is also an outdoor learning centre used for children's day and residential activities and accommodating a large proportion of Leicestershire's school children. There are three paintings by Haydn Cottam at Beaumanor Hall including 'Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea'. Also displayed are 'Sanctuary' by Graham Crowley and 'Water Trap' by Ron Haselden.
Beaumanor Hall, Leicestershire County Council Beaumanor Collection is managed by Leicestershire County Council Beaumanor Collection
Leicestershire County Council Beaumanor Collection is an Art UK Founder Partner
Beaumanor Hall, Leicestershire County Council Beaumanor Collection
Woodhouse, Leicestershire LE12 8TX England
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit