The civic centre for Leicestershire County Council is County Hall, Glenfield built in 1965. The council was originally formed in 1889 and covered the administrative county of Leicestershire excluding Leicester. In 1974 Leicester city and the county of Rutland were added to the council. A further reorganisation in 1997 made the City of Leicester and the County of Rutland Unitary Authorities responsible for all of the local government services in their areas. Leicestershire is divided into 52 electoral divisions and has three tiers of local government which are the county council, seven district or borough councils and parish councils. The seven district councils in Leicestershire are: Blaby District Council, Charnwood Borough Council, Harborough District Council, Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council, Melton Borough Council, North West Leicestershire District Council, Oadby & Wigston Borough Council. Works displayed are ‘Melton Mowbray Horse Fair’ by John Ferneley and portraits of past Chairmen of the County Council including Colonel Sir Henry St John Halford the first chairman of the county council in 1889.
County Hall, Leicestershire County Council Civic Collection
Leicester Road, Glenfield, Leicester, Leicestershire LE3 8RA England
0116 232 3232http://www.leics.gov.uk/index/your_council/council_services_contacts/about_leicestershire/civic/civi
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit