The Essex Regiment Museum collection is owned by the Trustees of the Essex Regiment Museum and managed by Chelmsford Borough Council. The Museum was previously housed at Warley in Essex, and was opened in 1973 by HRH Princess Margaret. The Museum was redisplayed in 2010 in a new gallery within Chelmsford Museum. The collection contains a small number of oil portraits of soldiers of the 44th and 56th Foot, as well as the Last Stand of the 44th Foot at Gundermuk, 1842 (Afghanistan), painted in 1898 by William Barnes Wollen. Works from the reserve collections are periodically mounted in temporary exhibitions. The Regiment had its origins in 1741, and was amalgamated in 1958 and disbanded in 1992, when its traditions passed to the 1st Battalion of the Royal Anglian Regiment, whose service in recent conflicts abroad is still keenly followed.
Essex Regiment Museum
Oaklands Park, Moulsham Street, Chelmsford, Essex CM2 9AQ England
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit