Guildford Museum is within the area of the medieval castle, in a seventeenth-century house built onto the medieval gatehouse. The collections of Guildford Museum date back to 1858 with the founding of the Surrey Archaeological Society, which soon amassed a collection of archaeological objects and curiosities. The Museum moved to its present site, within the grounds of Guildford Castle, in 1898. The Museum focuses on collecting artworks mainly for their historical information or associations, and has built up the collection through the generosity of local people and with the grateful assistance of bodies such as the Art Fund. Managed by the local council since the 1920s, in 2010 the Museum merged with Guildford House Gallery and other historical sites around the Borough to form part of the Heritage Service of Guildford Borough Council. The Museum has a permanent local history display and a constantly changing temporary exhibition space, whose displays are often run to complement those at Guildford House Gallery.
Castle Arch, Quarry Street, Guildford, Surrey GU1 3SX England
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit