Due to Covid-19 restrictions, venues and exhibitions are closed until further notice. We recommend checking with the venues' own websites for up-to-date information. Haigh Hall was the former home of the Earls of Crawford and Balcarres, who were major coal and ironworks owners in the district. The estate came to the family through the marriage of Alexander Lindsay, 6th Earl of Crawford, in 1787. The current house, dating to the early nineteenth century, was built by James Lindsay, 7th Earl of Crawford. However, earlier houses had stood on the site since the thirteenth century. The Hall was surrounded by extensive parkland and had formal and kitchen gardens. In 1947 the Lindsay’s decided to leave the area and sold the Hall and grounds to Wigan Council. Today it is the headquarters of Wigan Leisure and Culture Trust and a wedding and events venue. Although the gardens no longer exist, the 250 acres of parkland, with its many beautiful trees and magnificent views over the Douglas Valley, is open to the public. There is also a championship standard golf course. A portrait of David Alexander Edward Lindsay, 27th Earl of Crawford, hangs on the main staircase.
Haigh Country Park, Haigh, Wigan, Greater Manchester WN2 1PE England
01942 832 895https://www.wigan.gov.uk/Resident/Leisure/Haigh-Woodland-Park-development.aspx
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit