Mansfield College is one of the undergraduate colleges of Oxford University. The College was originally founded in Oxford in 1886 with the purpose of providing further education and theological training for nonconformist ministers. At that time the College was primarily associated with the Congregationalist denomination. The College has a small collection of paintings, central to which are 50 portraits, copies of portraits of Clergymen ejected from the Church of England by the Act of Uniformity in 1662, and nearly all of whom became the founders of Free Churches. The copies were painted by Mr Sintzenich of Exeter, and were presented to Mansfield by J. H. Lloyd and other members of Highgate Congregational Church in 1894. There are also 15 further portraits that were given to the College by Mr H. R. Williams of Highgate. In 1912 J. H. Lloyd's daughter presented the College with another six portraits of Puritan statesmen: Sir Edward Coke, Oliver Cromwell, Sir John Eliot, John Hampden, John Rogers, and Lord Saye & Sele. The College is pleased to participate in this project. Although our paintings are not in public ownership, in accordance with the charitable aims of the College, its collection is included on this website to widen public awareness and for the benefit of scholarship. The College is not generally open to the public but any open days will be advertised on the College website.
Mansfield College, University of Oxford
Mansfield Road, Oxford, Oxfordshire OX1 3TF England
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit