The Argory, the ‘Hill of the Garden’, built between 1819 and 1824, complete with remarkable cabinet barrel-organ, is a fine example of nineteenth-century taste and was given to the National Trust in 1979 by Walter Albert Nevill (Tommy) MacGeough Bond who also bequeathed his contemporary art collection to the Ulster Museums. The pictures at The Argory are a characteristic mixture of a few Old Masters and copies, some of which are known to be done by Professore A. Sasso & Sons of 4 Borgo Ognissanti, Florence and others, notably ‘The Cardsharps’ after the original Caravaggio, now at Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth, and ‘The Penitent Magdalen’ after Pompeo Batoni, after a well known Correggio, both missing from Dresden since 1945. The best of the family portraits are probably the Francis Grant of Walter MacGeough Bond (1790–1866), as an old man, and the James Jebusa Shannon of Ada Marion Nichols (1866–1955), Lady Bond, as a young woman in 1888.
National Trust, The Argory
144 Derrycaw Road, Moy, Dungannon, County Armagh BT71 6NA Northern Ireland
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit