The Royal Welch Fusiliers (RWF) is Wales’ oldest infantry regiment, founded in 1689. It has given over 300 years of service, all around the world. Since 2006 its new title has been 1st Battalion The Royal Welsh (Royal Welch Fusiliers). The RWF has connections, through those who served, with thousands of families in Wales and elsewhere. The Regimental Museum was set up in 1952, in Hightown Barracks in Wrexham, home of the RWF Depot. When the Depot closed in 1960 the Museum was moved to Caernarfon Castle. The Museum was completely redeveloped with the aid of a Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) grant and reopened in 1999. Paintings and portraits relating to Regimental history were considered important teaching resources for newcomers and have always adorned the walls of battalions’ headquarters. Many have found their way into the Museum collection, along with artwork gifted by those who have served. Significant works include portraits by Kyffin Williams, who served in the RWF; John Hoppner and Godfrey Kneller; and a large, vivid portrayal of the Battle of Mametz Wood, 1916, by Christopher Williams (on long-term loan from National Museum Wales).
Royal Welch Fusiliers Regimental Museum
The Castle, Caernarfon, Gwynedd LL55 2AY Wales
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit