Southchurch Hall is a rare example of a moated, timber-framed medieval manor house which is open to the public. It dates from the early 14th century and was home to farming families until the 1920s. It was extensively restored in 1930 and presented to the town. Southchurch Hall is laid out in a series of period rooms including a great open hall reflecting life in the later middle ages, a Tudor kitchen, with magnificent fireplace and a solar wing displaying rooms in late Tudor and Stuart style and containing some excellent examples of furniture from those periods. On the first floor is a delightful Victorian bedroom, set out as it might have been when the Kilworth family resided in the house. An exhibition room contains displays on the history and archaeology of the building and a lovely gift shop.
Southchurch Hall Close, Southchurch, Southend-on-Sea, Essex SS1 2TE England
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit